Saturday 19 April 2008

Singapore Roads...







Last week I got a chance to travel from almost one end to other end of Singapore by Car. I was really impressed by the quality of roads and the number of trees along the roadside. The pictures above were taken by me from the car. I've already been to many places in Singapore and it's so green everywhere even in the heart of the city. The roads are so broad as compared to the roads in India.

At many places in Singapore you can find Garden's and Forest or Nature Reserve's. Yes, you read it right. It's forest. Sime Forest, Nee Soon, Bukit Timah Nature Reserve and Bukit Panjang are few of the forests to mention. Singapore is a clean and well planned Garden City. This makes me wonder how they are able to maintain this. Singapore being so small (692.7 sq km - less than half the size of Delhi), it will be good for them to destroy these and make use of the land for commercial or living purpose. But they don't want to do that.

This shows that Singapore is well aware about the Global Warming effects. The raise of temperature around the world would cause the sea levels to raise which is really dangerous for Singapore. So, Planting trees is one way to tackle Global Warming. But there are some controversies around this theory as some say that the Trees will also cause Global Warming.

I was shocked when I read it. They say that though the trees absorb C02 and produce oxygen they also produce some methane and this would cause Global Warming. But I still can't accept this. I think because of the deforestation the temperature got increased. Trees will absorb the sunlight and heat and convert them into energy. It's cooler to stand underneath a shade tree rather than in the open sun. It's as simple as that. There are many other benefits from growing trees which we have been studying from the school and it's the nature. Anything against the nature is only dangerous. People are already destroying the forest and if they started believing that the trees could cause Global Warming, I can't imagine where it will end.

Read about Global Warming in Wikipedia.

2 Comments:

Victor said...

I am glad you find Singapore clean, green and well-planned. Couldn't disagree with you at all about those qualities. But sometimes it is too well-planned. Just last Monday, I started out slightly later than usual (about 7 am). After I sent my younger son to school. I ended up having to pay ERP 3 times before I reached my office at 8 am.

Sathiya said...

Yes, that's too much. Just read an article on it:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/354705/1/.html